Part of the reason I wanted to blog is to tell people things I try, and how they work out for me. I try lots of things, some work, some don’t. Maybe if it works for me it will work for you. If it doesn’t work for me, maybe you will decide not to waste your time.
Starting in March I have been doing trim healthy mamma (THM). The main premises are that you stop eating sugar, white flour, and white potatoes. You also separate your carbs and fats (if you eat a meal high in fat eat a small amount of carbs, and if you eat high carbs eat low fat). There is more to it than that, but that is the quick overview.
I have lost about 30 pounds in 6 months, which is great! The plan does take some time to understand, and you do need to think in advance about meals. I have still had some of the “off plan” foods, and have a used a looser set of rules.
- You can eat eggs, bacon, meat
- You can eat sweets that are sweetened with natural sugar substitutes
- You eat almost any fruit and vegetable you want
- As long as you find your own limits of fats, it is completely healthy
- Sugar is in EVERYTHING
- Eating out takes some planning
- Some of the receipies call for special ingredients and they can be pricey
- There isn’t much sugar free stuff that you can just pick up at the store (I still eat some of the Splenda stuff)
- Sometimes it’s a pain to make sure the meal you are going to eat is “on plan”
Would I reccomend it?
Yes! I have managed to keep doing THM for six months, which is longer than I have done anything else! I started off stricter to the rules than I am now, but I am trying to make it a lifestyle change! I have been going “off plan” too much lately! I need to reign it back in, however, like I said before I am trying to make it a lifestyle change. I don’t plan on giving up sugar 100%. An occasional cupcake, regular ice cream, and Dr. Pepper are still in my future, but just occasionally and not every week like it has been!
If you would like to look into it here are some resources
A Free Quick start guide:
Trim Healthy Mama website: